Membership is open to people with the surname Hull, descendants of Hulls, and all
with a special interest in this surname and/or family. However, we regret that we cannot accept commercial genealogical companies or individuals as members in the Hull Family Association. The HFA is non-profit and our genealogy committee members receive no payments or funding. Ours is a strictly volunteer organization.
The application is available in the following formats: (please choose one)
The HFA is pleased to be able to offer the following benefits. We think you’ll find that our value compares very favorably with that offered by other surname organizations.
- Two Periodicals
- HFA Newsletter: We publish a Newsletter three times each year (although this is subject to change). These Newsletters usually involve articles on current Hulls or at least post-1900 Hulls as well as our annual HFA meetings. We welcome submissions from our members
- HFA Journal: Members receive two Journals per year, beginning in 2007, including access to purchase back issues at reduced prices. (Previously three issues were published per year.) The Journal contains articles on pre-1900 Hulls, and a variety of other historical and genealogical topics, including Hull immigrants, biographies, primary source material, and corrections to errors in previously published material. Member submissions welcome
- Annual Meeting: The HFA sponsors an annual meeting and picnic to conduct business and provide social opportunities for members. Meetings have been held in ten states, usually in summer or early fall. Dates and location are announced well in advance
- Genealogy and History: Access to a growing body of information on Hull history and genealogy, including tips on methodology, and the forms you’ll need. We’ve outlined what members can expect to receive on their lineages including the following:
- Free Queries: At the time of registration, in your Member Lineage Form, you can submit a query for one of your Hull generations. Space permitting we will publish it in an upcoming issue of the HFA Newsletter. We will also publish it on the this website (omitting personal contact information) and on the “members only” website (where only members can reply). Additional queries can be submitted using this online Query Form
- Computer Comparison Check (CCC): Free cross-checking of your lineage with those of other members, to facilitate exchange of genealogical records. Frequently we can add more generations to a Hull lineage and/or correct information that is documented to be incorrect
- Family Group Sheets: Free family group sheets, with references (three sheets at a time)
- Access to Genealogist: When we receive a new lineage, the HFA Genealogist and other Genealogy Committee members (a combined 100+ years of experience) frequently spend significant time trying to extend that lineage, correcting it, and/or giving suggestions for further research—at no charge. In addition to all the free services, members may contract with the HFA Genealogist at a reduced hourly rate:
- “Members Only” Website: A growing genealogical resource
repository exclusive to members; includes member names and street/e-mail addresses
- Opportunities for Service: The officers, coordinators, and committee members all serve as volunteers and offers of assistance are always welcome
Membership is based on a calendar year, with dues payable by December 31 for the next year.
- First Year (or fraction thereof):
- USA: $23.00
- Outside USA: $28.00
- USA: $18.00
- Outside USA: $23.00
Members who join in the middle of the year pay dues for the entire year and will receive all HFA
publications for the entire year and all other benefits for the remainder of the year. Members become delinquent if dues are not received by December 31 and will not receive benefits for the new year until dues are received.
Questions Regarding Membership
Some questions may be answered by reviewing the membership application (above). The application also contains contact information for further questions. And we’ve outlined what members can expect to receive as a benefit of their HFA membership.